Saturday, February 20, 2016
What Are Wisconsin's Clearest Lakes?
Time for my annual list of the clearest lakes in Wisconsin. Every year, I consult with Jennifer Filbert at the Wisconsin DNR. Jennifer manages the data for the state-wide citizen's lake monitoring group. They're a network of individuals, usually lake-front property owners who monitor and regularly take a variety of water samples from lakes all across Wisconsin. The data they compile helps to give us a look at how our lakes are doing. One of the many tasks lake monitors perform is to take regular sechi disc readings. This is a universal way of assessing and comparing water clarity. I'm always interested in knowing which Wisconsin inland lakes are the clearest. Every year, Jennifer sends me a spreadsheet of some really comprehensive data that I'm happy to share with you. Here are the lakes that recorded the highest average water clarity in 2015. In short-here are Wisconsin's clearest inland lakes and their average water clarity in 2015:
1) Black Oak Lake, Vilas Co. 33 feet
2) Whitefish Lake, Douglas Co. 30 feet
3) Big Newton Lake, Marinette Co. 29 feet
4) Pine Lake, Waukesha Co. 26 feet
5) Sugar Camp Lake, Oneida Co. 25 feet
6) Millicent lake, Bayfield Co. 25 feet
7) Maiden Lake, Oconto Co. 25 feet
8) Blue Lake, Oneida Co. 25 feet
9) Smoky Lake, Vilas Co. 24 feet
10) Presque Isle Lake, Vilas Co. 24 feet
To see the lake list from 2014, click here. For the lake list from 2013, click here. And for the 2012 list of clear lakes, click here.